The history of Emly GAA was published in 2000. It was edited by Michael O Dwyer and contains over 300 pages with a vast collection of photographs. The Emly club was founded in 1886 and at one stage competed in Limerick. There is a chapter devoted to the renowned athlete Jim Mitchell who was a native of Emly and special mention of Jack Raleigh who played hurling with the Toomevara Greyhounds.
The book captures the highs and lows of a small parish trying to overcome challenges and difficulties especially during the War years. The club is proud of Emly’s involvement in the foundation of the West Board and especially the opening of St.Ailbes park in 1969.
There is special mention of the well known GAA administrator Mick Frawley and All Ireland referee Paddy Russell.
Athletics, Camogie, Juvenile games and Ladies Football are covered comprehensively and all are to be congratulated who contributed to this excellent publication.